photo sharing and upload picture albums photo forums search pictures popular photos photography help login
Ron S. Bernardo | profile | all galleries >> CHRIST THE KING CATHEDRAL tree view | thumbnails | slideshow

CHRIST THE KING CATHEDRAL

"We will have the finest church in Canada", said Bishop John McNally when he announced the construction of a new Cathedral for the Diocese of Hamilton in 1931.

The Cathedral of Christ the King dominates the western entrance to the City of Hamilton. From its excellent location on King Street West, along side Highway 403, the Cathedral serves as a beacon attracting parishioners, pilgrims and visitors from across Canada and the world.

In 1933, this exquisite Gothic structure was dedicated to Christ, the King of Kings, and the first Cathedral so dedicated in the world. Measuring 235 feet in length and 72 feet in width, the exterior of the Cathedral is stately, solid and serene. It is built of limestone, quarried in Indiana and Georgetown, Ontario.

In the tower is a carillon of 23 bells. The largest bell, the Bourdon, was donated to the Cathedral by the Prime Minister of Canada. The Stations of the Cross were sculptured from a single block of Cararra marble; the kind used by Michelangelo for the Pieta. There are 82 stained glass windows made in Munich.
VIEW FROM CHOIR BALCONY
VIEW FROM CHOIR BALCONY
MAIN ENTRANCE
MAIN ENTRANCE
SIDE OF THE MAIN ALTAR
SIDE OF THE MAIN ALTAR
MAIN ALTAR
MAIN ALTAR
MAIN ALTAR
MAIN ALTAR
MAIN ALTAR
MAIN ALTAR
CHOIR BALCONY
CHOIR BALCONY
CHOIR BALCONY
CHOIR BALCONY
STAINED GLASS
STAINED GLASS
IN PRAYER
IN PRAYER