Designed by the Boston firm of Shepley, Rutan & Coolidge,
the building was dedicated in 1897 as the first permanent home of the Chicago Public Library.
This portion of the current "Chicago Cultural Center" is now known as Preston Bradley Hall since
1977 when the spectacular setting was transformed into a performance hall and civic reception area.
Here is more info on this beautiful building: http://www.cityofchicago.org/Tourism/CultureCenterTour/History.html