photo sharing and upload picture albums photo forums search pictures popular photos photography help login
Robert Jones | profile | all galleries >> Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada tree view | thumbnails | slideshow

Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada

The Niagara Falls area has seen continuous settlement since the 17th century, first by the Iroquois and then by Europeans who were drawn to the immense falls. Louis Hennepin, a French priest, is regarded as the first European to visit the area in the 1670s.

Tourism started in the early 19th century and has been a vital part of the local economy since that time. As well as the obvious attractions of the falls, Niagara Falls markets itself as a honeymoon destination and is self-proclaimed as the honeymoon capital of the world.

In 1856, the town of Clifton was incorporated. The name of the town was changed to Niagara Falls in 1881. In 1882, the community of Drummondville (located near the present day corner of Lundy's Lane and Main Street) incorporated itself as the village of Niagara Falls. Thus there were two municipalities named Niagara Falls at the time (with the village being referred to as Niagara Falls South to differentiate it from the town). In 1904, the town and village finally amalgamated to form the City of Niagara Falls.
The Falls and the Region
:: The Falls and the Region ::
Winter 2009
:: Winter 2009 ::
Winter 2010
:: Winter 2010 ::
Butterfly Conservatory, Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada
:: Butterfly Conservatory, Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada ::