the first chapel has probably been built between 1350 and 1400. An altar consecration is documented on August 8th, 1495
but it’s not clear whether the chapel was rebuilt or just enlarged in that occasion.
A civil document demonstrates the increasing importance of pilgrimages to the Coloman church 1552
the Emperor Karl V officially granted to the Colomansfest in Schwangau the right to be a market day.
Local handicraftsmen planned an enlargement implemented by the plasterer Johann Schmutzer.
The consequent Coloman church, consecrated in 1685, was the first great work of this builder and artist.
© Thomas LeRoy 2010-2018 Images may not be downloaded, copied, altered or linked - All Rights Reserved.