photo sharing and upload picture albums photo forums search pictures popular photos photography help login
photogallery | profile | all galleries >> The Brant Rock - "ESPLANADE" tree view | thumbnails | slideshow

The Brant Rock - "ESPLANADE"

Welcome to the Esplanade page. View images of the Esplanade from the 40s, 50s, and 60s and some even going back to before the Esplanade was widened. .... By 1930 certain modern conveniences had come to Brant Rock. Town water was supplied to the area in the 1920s. The year 1927 saw the widening of Ocean Street in the village enter, done under Chapter 249 of the Acts of 1927 by the Plymouth county Commissioners. The buildings on the west side of the so-called Esplanade were moved back toward the marh. the landmark Brant Rock Comfort Station was built by Bradley Bryant in 192 with the stipulation in the deed that it always be "used for public purposes." By 1932 the seawall along the ocean front at brant rock and Ocean Bluff was completed at a cost of $200,000, one sixth of of which was paid by the abutters, who each paid fifteen dollars per foot of their land. The wall was built by men from the Works Progress Administration (WPA) who were paid thity-five cents per hour. The structure replaced what had been a crude breakwater laid by hand about 1900. Marshfield - A Town of Villages 1640-1990 - Krussell & Bates.....Stores, restaurants, and businesses flooded this summer beach resort. Sandy's Restaurant, owned by Arthur and Lucille Sandstrum, opened in 1928. It continued serving its' famous food at the corner of the Esplanade and Dyke Road until 1960 hen Francis “Bud” and Jane Mannix bought the restaurant and Sandtrum properties extending to what is now the road to the town pier. The restaurant was torn down and replaced with Bud's Beef and Fish Restaurant. The Mannix Family also ran Bud's country Store, which had a coffee bar, and rented an sold boats, bikes and scuba diving equipment. Eli's store sat just south of the Ocean House (later the movie theater and bowling alley ...now an empty lot to the right of Arthur and Pats) from the 1930s through the 1950s. It was a department store known locally as the linen store. It sold bathing suits, bathing caps and bathing shoes, summer clothing, beach towels and souvenir satin pillows which were all hung outside on the porch. The Eli Family came from New York. The store burned in he late 1960s. Alfred F. “Fawn” Worthington ran a gas station in the old stable building on the east side of the Esplanade by the 1930s. The gas pumps were located nearly in the street Many remember Fawn sitting by the doorway smoking his pipe. After he died in 1958, the gas station was run by Harry Tingley. Later it was a furniture store......Marshfield - A Town of Villages 1640-1990 - Krussell & Bates .....The small restaurant now known as Arthur and Pat's , at the southwest corner of the Esplanade, was for years called Mommie's. It was bought in 1945 by Harry and Helen Tingley. The soda fountain was originally along the left-hand side of the restaurant. The Tingley's sold tonics and ice cream, meats , milk, and eggs, the Boston Sunday Globe, and Brockton Enterprise. All the food was home-cooked and the doughnut machine, in full view at the front of the restaurant, was a magnet for Sunday morning breakfasts. In 1972 Mommie's was sold to Rita Jenkins, who continued to run it as Mommie's until 1975 when she sold it to Arther and Olga D'Allesandro. They continued to run it as Mommie's until 1978 when the name changed to Arthur and Pat's. By 1945 Phillip's Lobster Claw Restaurant was located across from Peterson's Store. This rather elegant restaurant brought an air of genteel dining to Brant Rock and was especially enjoyed by summer visitors. The Breakers (….Lobster Claw and now The Bailey) was at one tme owned and operated by Russell and Biff Henderson, then by the McCarten Family. It was sold in 1986 to Kang Yu. The site where Venus II is today was bought in 1927 by Arthur Tradd He built the Ocean Breeze Bar and Grille, which later had a number of owners. The Venus II is a bar and cafe known especially for its pizza. It has been owned by Nick Drasopoulos since the mid-1970s. Now by his sons. Th Brant Rock Supermarket on Dyke Road was built in 1952. Marshfield - A Town of Villages 1640-1990 - Krussell & Bates
previous pagepages 1 2 ALL next page
Esplanade Map
Esplanade Map
Esplanade Looking North
Esplanade Looking North
Business Center
Business Center
Business Section
Business Section
Chrome Postcard
Chrome Postcard
Esplanade from Island Street
Esplanade from Island Street
Eli's Linen Store and Motion Pictures before Ocean Street was Widened
Eli's Linen Store and Motion Pictures before Ocean Street was Widened
Sandy's Fried Clams
Sandy's Fried Clams
Bowling Alley and Movie Theater Fire
Bowling Alley and Movie Theater Fire
Fish Market - contributed by Chris Lewis
Fish Market - contributed by Chris Lewis
Estes Candy Kitchen Burns - 1971
Estes Candy Kitchen Burns - 1971
The Old Haddad's
The Old Haddad's
Flooded Esplanade
Flooded Esplanade
The New Haddad's Under Construction
The New Haddad's Under Construction
Main Street
Main Street
Ocean Street with Cars and Flags
Ocean Street with Cars and Flags
Brant Rock Cafe
Brant Rock Cafe
Flooded Esplanade - Photo by Dejoto
Flooded Esplanade - Photo by Dejoto
Comfort Station - Old Postcard
Comfort Station - Old Postcard
The Comfort Station Today
The Comfort Station Today
previous pagepages 1 2 ALL next page