Dallas history in a single frame. This grassy area where Elm, Main and Commerce streets come together was built by the Work Projects Administration in 1939. Prior to the WPA project, the area was a particular eyesore. Its redevelopment was spearheaded by George Bannerman Dealey, the publisher of the Dallas Morning News and the area is named Dealey Plaza in his honor. The red brick building on the far left is the Texas School Book Depository Building, now used as the offices for the Dallas County Commissioners Court. The sixth floor of the building now houses an excellent museum on the Nov. 22, 1963 assassination of Pres. John F. Kennedy. The window second from the top on the far right is where Lee Harvey Oswald set up a sniper's perch to shoot Kennedy. Immediately to the right of the Schoolbook Depository Building is the Dal-Tex Building. It was in this building that clothing manufacturer Abraham Zapruder had his offices. Zapruder used his Bell & Howell 8mm home movie camera to shoot what would become the best available visual record of the Kennedy Assassination. The red brick building in the center of the frame is the Dallas County Criminal Courts building. It was built in 1913 and had a jail on the top two floors. No longer in use as a courthouse or a jail, it earned its place in history as the building where Jack Ruby was tried and convicted of the murder of Lee Harvey Oswald. On the far right is Dallas' Old Red Courthouse. Built in 1893, it is the fifth courthouse to occupy this site. The building is now home to the Dallas Convention and Visitors Bureau.