One of the many lasting marks left on London by Queen Victoria is the Albert Memorial, which sits in Kensington Gardens directly to the north of Royal Albert Hall. The memorial was created at the behest of Victoria as a monument to her beloved husband Prince Albert, who died of typhoid in 1861. The memorial was designed by Sir George Gilbert Scott in the Gothic Revival style. The memorial was opened by Queen Victoria in July 1872. The statue of Albert was ceremonially "seated" in 1875. The memorial consists of an ornate canopy or pavilion, in the style of a Gothic ciborium over the high altar of a church, and contains a statue of the prince facing south. The memorial is 176 feet tall, took over ten years to complete, and cost £120,000 (the equivalent of about £10,000,000 in 2011). The cost was met by public subscription.