Albert Dock is a complex of dock buildings and warehouses in Liverpool, England. Designed by Jesse Hartley and Philip Hardwick, it was opened in 1846, and was the first structure in Britain to be built from cast iron, brick and stone, with no structural wood. As a result, it was the first non-combustible warehouse system in the world. Following World War II, the decline of docking in the city together with financial problems of the owners led to the closure of the docks. They lay idle from 1972 until they reopened as a tourist, restaurant and shopping destination in 1988.