The Pulteney Bridge spans the River Avon in Bath. It was completed in 1773 according to a design by architect Robert Adam. It is one of only four bridges in the world with shops along the entire span on both sides. The bridge was named for Frances Pulteney, an 18th century heiress and widow of William Pulteney, who first expressed belief in the desirability for a bridge at this location. Greatly altered, to its aesthetic detriment, from its original design in the ensuing centuries, a restoration began in 1931 that restored the original facade. Restoration was completed in 1951 with some additional work done in 1975.