The Cape Canaveral Light is the second lighthouse to sit on Cape Canaveral. The government issued a contract for construction of this lighthouse in 1860 but the American Civil War put construction on hold. The light was eventually completed in 1868. Beach erosion threatened the light at its original location so the Congress appropriated funds to move it. The first (1848) Cape Canaveral lighthouse was blown up and the rubble used to create a foundation for the current lighthouse at its current location. The Cape Canaveral Light was re-lit in this location in 1898. This lighthouse is the only lighthouse owned and operated by the U.S. Air Force.