photo sharing and upload picture albums photo forums search pictures popular photos photography help login
Roger Bailey | profile | all galleries >> Rug Chapel tree view | thumbnails | slideshow

Rug Chapel

Rug Chapel is a private chapel built in 1637 by Colonel William Salusbury (1580-1660) whose own house was nearby. William Salusbury was a colourful character who apparently spent some time as a pirate before becoming a reformed character and celebrated writer of Welsh religious verse.

William Salusbury had distinctly 'high church' views and this is reflected in the interior of the church, one of the most ornately decorated 17th century ecclesiastical interiors in the country.

In 1854-55 the chapel was partially renovated by its then owner, Robert Vaughan, though fortunately much of the 17th century interior was preserved. The chapel's stained glass windows are a Victorian addition. Before this the windows would have been plain glass.
RC001.jpg
RC001.jpg
RC002.jpg
RC002.jpg
RC003.jpg
RC003.jpg
RC004.jpg
RC004.jpg
RC005.jpg
RC005.jpg
RC006.jpg
RC006.jpg
RC007.jpg
RC007.jpg
RC008.jpg
RC008.jpg
RC009.jpg
RC009.jpg
RC010.jpg
RC010.jpg
RC011.jpg
RC011.jpg
RC012.jpg
RC012.jpg
RC013.jpg
RC013.jpg
RC014.jpg
RC014.jpg
RC015.jpg
RC015.jpg
RC016.jpg
RC016.jpg
RC017.jpg
RC017.jpg
RC018.jpg
RC018.jpg
RC019.jpg
RC019.jpg