Inscription on the side.
The other painter’s house, next door to the Pergola, was the VILLA BESCHE (the name of its owner).
It was rented to Lilla Cabot Perry, then to Frederick William MacMonnies and his wife during the
summers 1894 to 1896 before they purchased the Prieuré (now known as the Moutier) and settled
there. The “Villa Besche” was destroyed, and we have no documents related to it.
It is place, Monsieur Frazier, English diplomat, built the “Maison Large”
in 1926 to enlarge “La Pergola” which he had purchased.
The “Maison Large” is a beautiful house with a slate roof, where he set up a large playroom
for his two girls; the elder one was named Cécile. He housed his personnel in this house,
and they were in charge of watching over his property during his frequent absences.
His maid was Basque. This new house was sold to a pharmacist, Monsieur Dubois,
an expert at bow and arrow.
Copyright © JMP de Nieuwburgh