Punakha Dzong (Fortress) was built in 1637 at the confluence of 2 rivers:
the Pho and Mo rivers, a strategically important location. For many years,
Punakha located in the lower elevation of 4430 ft was the winter capital of Bhutan
with Thimpu being the summer capital. Every year, the government moved twice a year.
Since 1950, Thimpu was established as the permanent capital of Bhutan.
Now, Punakha Dzong houses the district government as well as a monastery and temples.