The Punakha Dzong is located at the confluence of the Pho and Mo river. It was built in 1637 by Shabdrung Ngawang Namgyel, an impotant historical leader. The Panukha Dzong located at an elevation of 1300 m (4430 ft) served as Bhutan's winter capital for over 300 years. Thimpu (2300m - 7000ft) served as the summer capital. Today, Thimpu is the capital of Bhutan year-round.