We stayed here, (in one of the tower bedrooms), on our first night in Spain!
"The Lerma Ducal Palace is the palace of the dukes of Lerma, in Spain, occupying the
whole of one side of the city's Plaza. Originally it had immmense gardens below it,
on the banks of the river, with fountains, stately homes and seven chapels, of which
one (Cristo) remains. All documents relating to its construction have been conserved.
A 17th century work, building started in 1601 under commission from Francisco Gómez
de Sandoval y Rojas, Duke of Lerma. Its architect was Francisco de Mora and is it is
considered de Mora's masterwork and one of the finest buildings of that era. During
the Spanish Civil War the building was used as a prison. It is currently used as a parador.
The interior of the patio round arches on each side. The columns are made of single
pieces of granite (the quarries were owned by the duke). On the upper level the
columns do not support arches, but rather a running frieze with iron balconies between
them, and windows which were originally made from walnut wood.
The palace has four towers at the corners, whose spires were also recovered after the
restoration works. No palace could have more than two towers except those belonging
to kings, but the Duke of Lerma was given this privilege due to his great powers in Court."
P.S. This image has been precisely geotagged for your further enjoyment.