The Altenbruch station has always been crucial for navigators entering the Elbe; from the 16th century sailors steered by the twin towers of the Altenbruch church. Hamburg built a wooden lighthouse on the dike in 1871, and in 1897 replaced it with this tower, which was immediately nicknamed Dicke Berta (Fat Bertha). The lighthouse carried the front light of a range; the rear light was the 34 m (112 ft) cast iron Osterende-Groden Oberfeuer, nicknamed Schlanke Anna (Skinny Anna). Schlanke Anna was demolished in 1976. The range was replaced in 1968 by the Altenbruch-Wehldorf range, but Dicke Berta remained active until 1983. The lighthouse was then transferred to a preservation society, which has restored the building. The building has since become a popular site for weddings.
ARLHS Number: FED 277
Height: 13 m