photo sharing and upload picture albums photo forums search pictures popular photos photography help login
Marc de Kleijn | all galleries >> Lighthouses >> Lighthouses of The Netherlands > Katwijk
previous | next
Katwijk
January 14, 2006

Katwijk

Katwijk aan Zee, The Netherlands

This tower was build in 1605. First they lit fires using wood, later they switched to coals. In the 19th century they build a lighthouse on top of the tower equipped with an oil lamp and parabolic reflector. The tower was restored in 1901, but the light was extinguished in 1913 as the majority of the fishing fleet moved to IJmuiden and Scheveningen.

Build: 1605
Construction: brick
Height:14m


other sizes: small medium large original
comment | share