Plassey is an area in Co. Limerick on the River Shannon, near Castletroy and up-river from Limerick City. It is sometimes confused with the Plassey estate in County Clare which was owned by Robert Clive, 1st Baron Clive, aka 'Clive of India'. Both were named after the Battle of Plassey 1757, which was part of the British Conquest of India.
Plassey House was owned by several Limerick families including the Maunsells, the Russells and the Baileys before it was acquired in 1933 by Patrick Keating, a Clareman who had made his fortune in China. On Patrick Keating's death the estate was purchased by the Rehabilitation Institute of Ireland from whom the new National Institute for Higher Education (NIHE) acquired it in 1970. NIHE later became the University of Limerick (UL).
The Black Bridge in the grounds of Plassey House crosses the Shannon from County Limerick into County Clare. Approaching Plassey across the bridge allows a number of scenic views. On the left is the beautiful lock house (Annabeg house) owned by the Ryan Family. To the right, there is a stony area of the river known as "Jim Stones". This is a very special spot for fishermen and is named after the late Jim Ryan who lived in Annabeg House, Plassey until the 1980s. Reference: Wikipedia.