This closed Coalmine was founded in 1857 and named after the place where the founder Carl Hostmann lived at that time, the Kingdom Hannover. The winding tower looks more like a castle or fort,a strange sight. In 1877 Friedrich Koepe placed for the first time a drive wheel instead of a drum to operate the lifts. Known as the Koepe system this was later used all over the world. This mine closed in 1973 as the last mine in the Bochum area. In 1995 the site was opened to the public. The greatest attraction is the original steam winding gear from 1893. At certain times the winding gear is demonstrated.