Cape Mudge Light House built in 1898. Active; focal plane 17.5 m (58 ft);
continuous red or white light, depending on direction, with a more intense
flash every 5 s. 12 m (40 ft) octagonal concrete tower with lantern and
gallery, painted white; lantern and gallery painted red.
Fog horn (3 s blast every 30 s).
Staffed light station with two 2-story red-roofed keeper's houses and other buildings.
The lighthouse marks the entrance from the broad Strait of Georgia to the Discovery Passage,
the first narrow section of the Inside Passage.
Located in Cape Mudge Village at the southern end of Quadra Island
accessible by ferry from BC 19 in Campbell River).
Site open; tower is sometimes open to guided tours during the summer (inquire locally).
Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard.
ARLHS CAN-100; Notmar 0511, Admiralty G5580, NGA 12560.