Water from four of the five Great Lakes flows through Niagara Falls on its way to the St. Lawrence Sea and the Atlantic Ocean. Only about 25% of the water actually flows over the falls. The other 75% is diverted and sent through electricity generating pipes before being returned to the natural waterway. I was most surprised to learn that we see only one fourth of the water coming into Lake Ontario. There is still an enormous amount of water that flows over the falls. Another astonishing fact is that water flow over the falls is frequently stopped - in the darkness of night so that tourists aren't disappointed. It is during the late night hours that nearly all of the water is diverted for power generation.
Historically, Niagara Falls attracted couples who wanted to be married here or newly weds who wanted to honeymoon here. I don't know if it still has that attraction. Some articles I've read talk about the mood created by the negative ions generated by the falls. Negative ions are "feel good" ions. When surrounded by them, we feel good. Whether that's true or nor, the falls are awesome and a thrill to see.
Despite overcast weather, I still managed to get a few shots worthy of posting.