Vlaming Head Lighthouse is situated 12 km. north of Exmouth. Built from local stone,
it was completed and opened, by the then Premier of W.A. Hon. J. Scaddan, in 1912.
The light was provided by a vaporized kerosene system and flashed 2 times every
10 seconds, between sunset and sunrise, until it was closed down in 1967.
Conservation works were completed in November 2000 and the light was
re-lit at sunset (1700) on 14 July 2001, at a ceremony
to re-open the lighthouse to the public, by Ken Baker,
a retired Lighthouse engineer/draftsman, who during
the 1950ís worked on the SS Cape Otway,
maintaining lighthouses on the W.A. coast.
The light now operates only on special occasions.
Note: On the shed "Vlaming" is spelt without a "h" on the end.
William de Vlamingh is spelt with an "h".