photo sharing and upload picture albums photo forums search pictures popular photos photography help login
Commenting on this page requires full PBase membership.
Please login or register.
James V. Roy | profile | all galleries >> Merrimack Valley Theaters >> Lawrence Theaters >> The Palace Theater tree view | thumbnails | slideshow

The Palace Theater

According to the Lawrence Eagle Tribune, on May 2, 1921, Thomas F. Toomey and Napolean Demara of the Toomey and Demara Amusement Co. applied for a permit to build the Palace Theater at an estimated cost of $150,000. It was formally opened on November 21, 1921. The first billing was Elsie Ferguson in "Footlights" and Bert Lytel in "Alias Ladyfingers." The theatre's policy was advertised as full length features, a comedy feature and news weekly. The programs would be continuous, 2 to 10:30 p.m. Weekday matinee prices would be 11 cents for children and 17 cents for adults. Night prices would be 17 and 25 cents. Keith circuit vaudeville was played on Sundays.
The Palace Theater at 126 Broadway was the last operational theater in Theater row, finally closing in 1969. According to the Cinema Treasures website, it was planned as a 2298 seat theater but "the Film Daily Yearbook of 1941 gives a capacity of 2,000 which had been further reduced to 1,781 in the 1950s."
By the time of its closing in 1969 it sat 1776.
CinemaTreasures.org ID: 8897
The Palace Theater
The Palace Theater
Palace Movie Home Journal
Palace Movie Home Journal
Frank Capra and Jimmy Stewart in Lawrence
Frank Capra and Jimmy Stewart in Lawrence
cronini_0134.jpg
cronini_0134.jpg
The Palace 1969
The Palace 1969