The Warner Theater in the late 1930s viewed from the top of the n/w corner of Essex and Lawrence Streets.
In the shot just after the Warner you can see "The Super Store" which was one of the very first, if not the first malls in the country. According to the Eagle Tribune:
"Ten years before the first suburban mall opened after World War II, Lawrence merchants converted an unused mill into a mini-mall.
They called it the Super Store and advertised cash and carry everything. from groceries, meat and bakery goods to shoes, clothing, furniture and hardware.
The Super Store was located in the renovated weaving shed of the Pacific Mills and faced Lawrence, Canal, Appleton and Methuen Streets.
It opened one week before Thanksgiving in 1935.
Opening day specials included stylish dresses for $1.88, women‘s hats for 88 cents and womens shoes for $1.39.
A florist sold roses for four cents each and carnations for five cents.
The self-service grocery offered chuck steak for 12 cents per pound, Columbia River salmon for 17 cents per pound and two pounds of coffee for 49 cents."
The Fenton Judicial Center occupies that site today.