This Premonstratensian monastery was founded in 1140. In the complex there is the church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, the rare Strahov Library with a number of medieval manuscripts, maps and globes, the Baroque Theological Hall, the Classical Philosophy Hall decorated with frescoes, and the Strahov Gallery, one of the most significant Central European collections of Gothic painting, Rudolfian art, and Baroque and Rococo paintings. The Strahov Monastery is the oldest Premonstratensian monastery in Bohemia and one of the most important architectural landmarks in the Czech Republic. Backed by Vladislaus II of Bohemia, Bishop of Olomouc Henry Zdík promoted the establishment of a monastery. The Strahov Monastery was founded in 1143 near the path leading to the prince's castle, at a site where guards stood watch (the name Strahov is derived from the Czech word "strahovat", to stand guard), and formed when a community of Premonstratensian monks from Steinfeld in the Rhine Valley settled at Strahov.The monastery was very quickly erected as an extensive Romanesque complex that was larger than the nearby residence of the Bohemian Kings, Prague Castle. A document from 1182 reports that a second church was consecrated. After it was damaged by fire in 1258, the monastery was restored in the early Gothic style. As a result of the Hussite movement, the significance of the monastery waned until it experienced a revival in the late 16th and early 17th centuries. In 1603 – 1612, the Gothic-Renaissance votive Church of St. Rochus was founded; it is currently deconsecrated.