The Old Town Bridge Tower is one of the most beautiful Gothic gateways in the world. The tower, along with Charles Bridge, was built by Emperor Charles IV according to designs by Petr Parléř in the mid-14 th century. The gate to the Old Town was also conceived as a symbolic victory arch through which Czech kings passed on their coronation processions. For an unforgettable view, visitors must climb 138 steps to the viewing gallery. The tower, which is one of the most impressive works of civil Gothic in the world, was built according to a design of Petr Parléř in the 2nd half of the 14th century by the Parléřs smelting plant by the St. Vitus temple. The construction was within the responsibility of the sculptor and builder Michael Savoyen, the son-in-law of Petr Parléř and the son of the architect of the Cologne cathedral. After him, both the house and the workshop was taken over by stonemason Petr in 1385, and he completed the tower. Apart from the main designers and sculptors, there were about a hundred of stonemasons working here.In 1621, 12 heads of some of the leaders of the nobility rebellion decapitated at the Old Town Square (Staroměstské náměstí) were put on display as a warning in the upper part of the tower towards the bridge. The heads remained in place for over 10 years, then they were taken down secretly during the night and buried in place which is still unknown.