This monumental entrance by which the coronation processions of Czech kings entered the Old Town is one of the most significant monuments of Late Gothic Prague. Completed in 1475, the Powder Tower, which formerly served as a gunpowder store, is still the starting point for the Coronation or Royal Route to Prague Castle. The viewing gallery is located at a height of 44 m.Literally a „Powder Gate“ is one of the most expressive monuments of late-Gothic Prague, and was built in place of the dilapidated original gate named Mountain Gate called Ragged, which dated back to the 1st half of the 13th century. The Powder Tower brought into the town one of the main roads coming from Eastern Bohemia, namely from Kutná Hora.This was also the place where the coronation processions of Bohemian kings would enter the town. The Powder Tower thus marks the start of the Coronation or Royal Path to Prague Castle.The foundation stone was laid in 1475; the construction was conducted by builder Václav, and later from 1478 on by Matěj Rejsek, who partly also provided the rich sculptural decorations. The tower was founded on the bottom of a fortification moat, approximately 9 m below today’s terrain. Later on, the moat was filled up, and its significance was lost, and therefore the bridge leading to the passage also disappeared. From 1488 on, the gate remained unfinished, probably due to the fact that the royal residence moved from the Old Town back to the Castle.