The Palais Garnier was designed as part of the great reconstruction of Paris during the Second Empire initiated by Emperor Napoleon III, who chose Baron Haussmann to supervise the reconstruction. During 1858 the Emperor authorized Haussmann to clear the required 12000 square metres (1.2 ha) of land on which to build a second theatre for the world-renowned Parisian Opera and Ballet companies. The project was the subject of architectural design competition during 1861, and was won by the architect Charles Garnier (1825–1898). The foundation stone was laid during 1861, with the start of construction during 1862. Legend is that the Emperor's wife, the Empress Eugénie,asked Garnier during the construction whether the building would be built in the Greek or Roman style, to which he
replied: "It is in the Napoleon III style, Madame!