Above the arched west entrance is a 19th century bas-relief of the Madonna and Child, seated between two angels.
Matthias Church (Hungarian: Mátyás-templom), located at the heart of Buda's Castle District. According to church tradition, it was originally built in Romanesque style in 1015.
The current building was constructed in the florid late Gothic style in the second half of the 14th century and was extensively restored in the late 19th century.
It was the second largest church of medieval Buda and the seventh largest church of medieval Hungarian Kingdom.
Officially named as the Church of Our Lady, it has been popularly named after King Matthias, who ordered the transformation of its original southern tower.
The church was the scene of several coronations.