Established in 1768 by King Taksin Maharat after the destuction of Ayutthaya and the defeat of the Burmese, this temple is one of the best known landmarks and most published images of Bangkok. It consists of a large elongated prang (Khmer-style tower), surrounded by four smaller prangs. It is decorated with bits of porcelain which had been used previously as ballast in boats coming from China. Its name is derived from Aruna, the Indian god of the dawn. In English it's known as The Temple of the Dawn.