The manor was begun in 1807 by Martin Ryerson who controlled iron mines and forges on the property. The house and land were purchased in 1853 by Peter Cooper and his son-in-law, Abram S. Hewitt. The Hewitts made it their summer home and constructed major additions in 1864, 1875, 1900 and 1910. The house currently has 51 rooms, 24 fireplaces and more than 250 windows. Ringwood is in north central New Jersey very close to the New York border.