Home of Frederick Edwin Church (1826-1900), a major figure in the Hudson River School of landscape painting. Designed mainly by Church himself, it was constructed between 1870 and 1872 in a mixture of Victorian, Persian and Moorish styles. It is on the pinnacle of a hill overlooking the Hudson River and the Catskill Mountains to the west and south and the Taconic Range to the east. The grounds consist of 250 landscaped acres that also includes a full scale farm and a 10 acre lake. The mansion's interior is completely furnished and looks just about as it did at Church's death. New York State purchased the property in 1966 and it is now a State Historic Site.