|James Robertson | profile | all galleries >> New York City >> Bartow-Pell Mansion||tree view | thumbnails | slideshow | map|
Located in Pelham Bay Park, The Bronx, the estate dates back to 1654 when Thomas Pell, an English doctor from Connecticut, bought the land from the Siwanoy Indians as part of a nearly 50,000-acre tract. The estate was reduced to 220 acres by the end of the Revolutionary War. It was bought in 1836 by Robert Bartow who built the present Grecian style stone mansion with Greek Revival interiors. He moved into the house with his wife and children in 1842. The mansion was opened as a museum in 1946.