Free Trade Tavern
Here in Norwich, Victorian enthusiasm for liberalisation of the nation's economy saw no less than four "Free Trade" taverns opening in the 1850s and '60s.
But as they say, what goes up must come down - and none of those hostelries stayed in business for long...
This particular Free Trade Tavern, at 11 St Augustine's Street - just a few doors up from the Rose Inn - opened first as a beer house in 1850, only later getting its full license. Only six decades later, as one of almost a dozen pubs on the street, it was deemed superfluous and closed, under the Compensation Act, in June 1910.
Since then the building has been used by several retailers, very quickly turning into Thompson's furniture store - and today it's the waiting room and reception area of Coleman's Opticians.
The Royal Arcade, Norwich
The exuberant central crossing of Skipper's Art Nouveau Royal Arcade - opened in
1899, and occupying much of the site of the former Royal Hotel, off Gentleman's Walk.
Listed as Grade II*
Easy choice, go for the roast beef!
.... and a pint of Aspalls while it's prepared
Sunday lunch at the Golden Star
Revisiting a long-time favourite
St James' Mill
An overlooked shot from last year, revitalised by processing in Lightroom
Portrait of Cromer's hero - Henry Blogg, coxswain of the town's lifeboat from 1909 to 1947.
This plaster relief mural is by local artist John Moray-Smith... it was formerly to be seen in the Ship Hotel, Cromer, but is now on show in the museum there.
Decorative detail - Plantation Garden
One from the archive....
... taken during a glorious sunset, some time around the turn of the Millennium, before the Eye's construction had been completed
Copied from 35mm slide film
Sunshine through stained glass - Cromer