The city's tram network
One of many useful maps of the transport system, produced by ATAC
and available from the ITALIAN version of their website, using:
For this one, use the Linee Tranviarie link there!
New beginning for an old favourite
Now that the lengthy job of laying a new trackway is complete, most of this highly convenient
route is again being served by trams - smart new ones, and sadly no longer the old yellow
rattletraps of days long past!
Until the remainder of the work is finished, there'll still be buses (temporarily numbered
as "3B") on the section from the train station in Trastevere to Piramide and the Stazione
Ostiense - but on the 10.8 km stretch from there through to Piazza Torvaldsen, in the Villa
Borghese park, the trams have been running for several months.
1 - Terminus: Thorvaldsen
Stop number one is the route's northern terminus - in the circular piazza, named for the
Danish-Icelandic neo-classical sculptor, Bertel Thorvaldsen, who spent almost 50 years
in Rome - maintaining a large workshop in the city, and contributing the only work by
a non-Italian on display in St Peter's Basilica.
The nearby C16th Villa Giulia is home to a fine collection of Etruscan artefacts - the
Museo Nazionale Etrusco. Photo: roof detail from a reconstructed Etruscan temple there.
At the time of our visit it was hosting an exhibition of artefacts recovered from tomb
looters, art thieves and fences, and various American museums and "collectors" - which
may well have finished now:
1 - update re the Villa Giulia Etruscan museum
Not yet in most guidebooks, but recently the artefacts from the Umbrian
and Latin peoples were transferred to nearby Villa Poniatowsky - where
they're now on display
2 - Galleria Arte Moderna
The "Galleria Nazionale d'Arte Moderna e Contemporanea" is housed in one of several villas
dotted around the Borghese park that remain from a world exposition of art, staged in 1911.
Their collection includes Ettore Ferrari's plaster model for his bronze of the heretic monk,
Giordano Bruno - who was burnt at the stake in the Campo de' Fiori, on a site that's marked
Photo from 09-FEB-2000
2 - A word of advice
If hoping to take some pictures, before getting too comfortable, check
that the tram's windows are clean - and that any safety glass won't
give effects like this....
Stops 3 & 4
3 - Aldrovandi:
On the apex of a major bend of this road (named for Ulisse Aldrovandi, a famous C16th century
naturalist, from Bologna), it meets with 'Via dei tre orologi' - a private road identifiable
by an outbuilding of Villa Delfino which stands at that junction... embellished with not one,
but three, sundials.
(This image of Via Tre Orologi has been 'borrowed' from Google's Streetview - I missed it!)
Further down the cul de sac, the convent of the Carmelite sisters of the Sacred Heart was built
during 1921 in the grounds of the 'Villa Tre Orologi' - as that Villa was known, prior to its
acquisition by the Parodi Delfino family... look for their namesake creature in the entrance gates
as the tram passes!
4 - Bioparco:
A popular stop for those with kids, as this is Rome's zoo.
Founded by the visionary Carl Hagenbeck in 1911, it was reformulated in the 1990s, becoming an
important centre for the conservation of endangered wildlife. Visitors will find 1000 animals of
200+ species, housed in the diverse environments that make up 17 hectares of botanical gardens,
with a collection of over 1000 trees.
5 - Rossini
Probably little of any interest to most visitors - all of one side of Viale Rossini is a
residential compound for the US Embassy, whose finely landscaped grounds are hidden
behind high walls and armed guards!
8 - Buenos Aires
After stop 7, watch for the approach of a very tall campanile, that of the Argentinian
community's church - 'Santa Maria Addolorata a Piazza Buenos Aires' - whose facade is
decorated with large panels of brightly-coloured mosaics.
It's only a short walk from there to the Coppede district - see next image!
8 - again, Quartiere Coppedé
Just a minute or two from the tram stop - a unique concentration of buildings
designed by the architect Luigi "Gino" Coppedè, constructed around 1917/20.
.. and, for further background, try
9 - Viale Regina Margherita / Nizza
Not a lot here, so have a few minutes sit - and watch for the next stop