A huge, Roman-style, three-tiered aqueduct built by Vanvitelli for Charles III
of Naples which took 16 years to complete, before finally coming into use in 1770.
It still carries water from the Tiburno River across the valley of Maddaloni, some
200 ft above the road and railway, supported on a series of arches more than 1700 ft
long - just one stage in the 25 miles it travels through Campania, before eventually
feeding the many cascades and fountains in the Palace gardens.