The first public drinking fountains appeared in 1872, and featured not one but three spouts,
each shaped like the head of a mythical dragon. A rare surviving example can still be seen
in Via della Cordonata, between Trajan’s Markets and the Quirinale Palace.
The installation of mass-produced fountains made of cast iron began in the 1920s, and a sales
catalogue from 1935 offered six models – including what was to become the most common type,
the “Roman”, with its single smooth spout.
Those can now be found practically everywhere, here's one in the Campo de'Fiori...
Others reflected 19th century tastes, and were decorated with flora and fauna - narrow and
cylindrical in shape, they stand on hexagonal bases and are equipped with either a single
or double water jet.