The inscription of this plaque - erected by the city on the 65th Anniversary of the 'Four Days of
Naples' - reads: "To commemorate both the entry into the city of Allied forces under the command
of the Americans on 1st October 1943, and the heroic uprising by the people of Naples during
those glorious days at the end of September."
Several weeks after the Armistice, the people of Naples turned on, and drove off, the occupying
Axis army - saving the city from being razed in their retreat, and liberating themselves in a
way that nowhere else in Italy was able to do - prior to the arrival of the Allies from Salerno.