The island's main harbour - used by both hydrofoils and ferries - was created in 1854,
when one side of a deep volcanic crater lake was opened to the sea.
The pink building, on the right, houses the ticket offices for the ferries operated by
the Caremar and Medmar lines - both of them offer frequent departures to Naples (Porta
di Massa) and Pozzuoli, with some that call in at the neighbouring island of Procida.