Over the years there have been three cathedrals on the island of Ischia.
The first one was swept away, along with all other traces of the inland settlement of Geronda, during the early 14th century when an enormous lava flow erupted from Mount Arso and spilled down to the sea.
The second - constructed on the fortified islet of the Castello Aragonese - was brought to
ruins by the cannons of the British fleet, firing at French troops stationed there in 1809.
In 1810, a church in the centre of Ischia Ponte, dedicated in the C14th to Santa Maria della Scala but subsequently rebuilt at least twice - which had been the centre of an Augustinian monastery until the order's suppression in 1808 - was elevated to the status of cathedral, the "Cattedrale dell' Assunta".