BOYT/E - BOYET/T/E NEWSLETTER
Volume II, Number 4 Oct/Nov/Dec 1986
Published and edited by Wendy L. Elliott, C.G.P. 0. Box 417, Salt Lake City, UT 84110
STEWART COUNTY, GEORGIA BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES
W. S. BOYETT page 409
William Shadrack BOYETT was born Sept. 22, 1845 at Cotton HiLL, Clay County, Ga., the son of James W. Boyett. He died Sept. 22, 1923, at Shady Grove, Stewart County, Ga., and was buried in Eastside Cemetery, Lumpkin, Ga. He was married twice; first to Addie CLYATT. Their children were:
Lena BOYETT and Arthur Stout BOYETT, born Dec 22, 1869 in Stewart Co.: died July 30, 1943, at Buena Vista, Ga. He married second Lavina DUSKIN and had one daughter, Lula BOYETT WALTON. (See Duskin and Walton sketches.) W.S. BOYETT was a Veteran of the War Between the States, a member of Co. C, 55th Georgia Volunteers. He was wounded and taken prisoner, remaining in prison several months. He settled in Stewart County during the (page 410) 1860's, and was a citizen of the county for over 50 years. His home was in the Shady Grove-Providence Community. He was a member of the Shady Grove Baptist Church and was Sunday School Superintendent for 25 years.
He also represented the county in the General Assembly and was prominently identified with all the civic, educational and political life of Stewart County. He served as the chairman of the County Board of Education for a number of years. W. S. BOYETT was a noble, public-spirited citizen,and his life typified one who was indeed a friend to man.”
p. 448 “Mary Lavinia DUSKIN married William S. BOYETT. One child was born to them Lula, who married H. T. WALTON. Children: Overton, Henry, Wasrren, Mary, Nellie, Martha, and Alma.
p. 322 “Mrs. BOYETT was one of the first to handle notions and millinery.
p. 157 Willis S. BOYETT was charter member of Richland Missionary Baptist Church. (Bethel Assn. organized in Richland church in 1833. Present church constituted in 1888.)
p. 159 W. S. BOYETT was deacon in Shady Grove Baptist Church, organized 1834 under name of New Hope near Florence. In 1849 moved near Lumpkin. W.S. BOYETT was Sunday School Superintendent for 52 years.
p. 158 W. S. BOYETT and Mrs. Lizzie BOYETT on building committee of Richland Missionary Baptist Church.
p. 614 (excerpts only) Gertrude WALTON married Dr. A. S. BOYETT of Stewart County on April 5, 1890. Moved to Buena Vista, Ca. Children:
Arthur, Dr. L. S. BOYETT of Ellaville, Walton BOYETT of Atlanta, Jennie May SAPPINGTON and Alma Walton BOYETT.
Harry WALTON, another son of SImeon Overton WALTON, married first, Lula BOYETT. Children: Overton, married Evelyn KENYON of Richland; H.T. Jr., Warren married Pauline JOHNSON of Stewart County; Mary, married Rev. George MOULTON; Nellie married Paul ARMSTRONG; Martha married Halliday PEARCE of Stewart County; Alma married John Macon CANNINGTON of the County Line Community.
Alma Walton BOYETT b. est 1899 of Atlanta, Fulton Co., GA; daughter of Arthur Stout and Gertrude (WALTON) BOYETT. She m. John Macon CANNINGTON of County Line, Stewart Co., GA. [BNII:4:12]
Arthur BOYETT b. est 1899 of Stewart Co., GA; son of Arthur Stout and Gertrude (WALTON) BOYETT. [BNII:4: 12)
Arthur Stout BOYETT b. 22 Dec 1869 in Stewart Co., GA; son of William Shadrack and Addie (CLYATT) BOYETT. He was a doctor and m. Gertrude WALTON on 5 Apr 1890. They moved to Buena Vista, GA. He d. 30 July 1943 at Buena Vista, GA. Children:
Arthur, Dr. L. S, Walton, Jennie May, and Alma Walton. [BNII:4: 12]
BOYT/E - BOYET/T/E NEWSLETTER
Volume III, Number 4 Oct/Nov/Dec 1987
Published and edited by Wendy L. Elliott, C.G. 4808 E. Garland St. Anaheim, CA 92801
BOYETT FAMILIES OF CLAY AND RANDOLPH COUNTIES, GEORGIA
Two BOYT/BOYTE/BOYETTE families were early settlers of the border area of Clay and Randolph counties, Georgia.
The oldest men of these families were Joseph Josiah and James W., born in 1795 and 1811/5, respectively. Descendants state that they were uncle and nephew, and a county history states that James' son and Joseph Josiah's daughter (who married) were second cousins.1 Joseph Josiah is reported to be brother to Thomas James BOYETT, born 1783/4 Wayne Co., NC, married 17 Oct 1809 in Duplin Co., NC to Elizabeth ROGERS, and died in 1867 in Lowndes Co., AL.
There also may be a familial connection between Joseph Josiah, James W., and the Robert BOYETT/BOYTT who was recorded in the 1820 U.S. Census of Wilkinson County. Joseph Josiah is first recorded in Georgia in the Laurens County 1830 U.S. Census. The ages and sex of family members in this census for Josiah fit known information. Laurens County, Georgia, was organized from Wilkinson,Montgomery, and Washington counties in 1807. In 1820, Robert BOYETT was residing in Laurens County, and in 1820, Robert of Wilkinson County, drew land in the lottery designated as in Bowings military district, lot 140, section 28, in Early County.
Joseph Josiah BOYETT was born 25 Dec 1795 in North Carolina; he married about 1820 probably in Washington or Laurens County, Georgia to Gatsy PEACOCK, who was born 27 Oct 1803/4/6 in Washington Co., GA. Gatsy died 27 Feb 1891 in Dothan, Houston Co., AL at the home of her daughter, Jane Elizabeth (BOYETT) ADAMS BOYETT; Gatsy is bur at Beulah Baptist Church Cemetery, Dothan, Houston Co., AL; Joseph Josiah died 8 Oct 1867 and his estate was probated in Randolph County.
Their names, birth, marriage, and death dates were recorded in the family Bible. He was recorded in the 1830 Laurens County, GA U.S. Census and had relocated in Randolph County before 1840 when the federal census was enumerated that year. Most of the family belonged to the Baptist church.
When his estate was probated, the county court appointed Gatsy as the administrix of his estate. She relinquished her dower in the property and took only a child's portion, probably to enable her off-spring to inherit a larger portion. The farm had to be sold to pay the debts, although some money was left at the final accounting.
Only six of the known ten children were living at the time Josiah's estate was settled. Most received The relationship is explained by Bunelle Hall Gresham, a descendant as follows: "Joseph Josiah and James were brothers. Josiah John was the son of James W. Boyett, the grandson of James, the g.nephew of Josiah, therefore the second cousin of his 2nd wife, Jane E. Boyett Adams. Information from Gertrude J. Stephens. See also Newsletter Vol. II, Number 2, p. 7, in this compilation of Thomas James’ twelve children, there is no known son who married a Parisade.
approximately $220.00 as their share. In some cases, where a daughter was deceased, her portion was distributed to her children, under the guardianship of their father.
1. Mary Mahala BOYETT b. 8 Dec 1821 Laurens Co., GA?; m. 28 Feb 1843, Randolph Co., GA to Thomas P. JESTER (b. 3 Sep 1809; d. 11 Nov 1899); she d. 4 June 1860 and they are buried at Shiloh Baptist Church Cemetery, Cotton Hill, Clay Co., GA.
2. Leroy Triggs BOYETT b. 8 Jan 1826 Laurens Co., GA? (a twin); m. est 1846, Randolph Co., GA to Atha Caroline BARBREE; he owned a shop called "Boyt and Darsey" in partnership with John DARSEY; Leroy d. 23 Nov 1855 in Clay Co., GA.
3. William Washington BOYETT b. 8 Jan 1836 Laurens Co., GA? (a twin); he was a student in 1850, living in the Cuthbert Dist. with Wm. TAYLOR. He d. bef 1868 when his father's estate was probated.
4. Jane Elizabeth BOYETT b. 4 July 18283 in Laurens Co., GA; m. bet late 1849 & early 1850 to Seborn ADAMS of Midway, AL; she d. 15 Aug 1902; she is bur. at Beulah Bapt Church Cem in Dothan, Houston Co., AL. She m. (2) 14 Oct 1866 her 2nd cousin, Josiah John BOYETT (b. 22 Dec 1843; d. 16 Oct 1918; bur at Beulah Cem).
5. Calvin Thompson BOYETT b. 26 Feb 1830; d. before 1868.
6. Abedi Ann BOYETT b. 25/27 June 1831 Laurens Co., GA; m. 26 Feb 1847, Clay Co., GA to John William PITTMAN (b. 28 Dec 1823; d. 30 Oct 1894); she d. 29 Jan 1918 in Dothan, Houston
Co., AL, and is bur beside her husband at Shiloh Bapt Church Cem, Cotton Hill, Clay Co., GA.
7. James Jackson (Jack) BOYETT b. 26 Dec 1835 Laurens Co., GA; m. 27 Dec 1855 in Randolph Co., GA to Sarah Jane FOSTER; he d. 31 Oct 1895 at Cotton Hill, Clay Co., GA; bur. Shiloh Cem; Clay Co., GA. The History of Clay County explains that Jack's property was in the community of Cotton Hill. It describes the house as follows: "Two pillars of one room are in Randolph, two in Clay, and three in Quitman [counties, GA]. This is probably the only instance of this kind known. Mr. Boyett, former owner of the house, was the father of seventeen children, all of whom grew to manhood and womanhood and all were born in this house.
8. Amelia Gilbert (Sarah C.) BOYETT b. 13 July 1839 Randolph Co., GA?; this may be the Sarah C., age 20, who was recorded with the family when the 1860 U.S. Census was enumerated for Randolph Co.; she m. 21 May 1864 in Clay Co., GA to Dunwoody RAY; she d. 22 Feb 1915 at Cotton Hill, Clay Co., GA and is bur. at Shiloh Hill Cem, Clay County, GA.
9. George Love Harrison BOYETT b. 18 Dec 1843 Randolph Co., GA; served in CSA; d. after 1868.
Her birthdate was also found as 24 July 1830. Two of Jack's children were already deceased and bur at Shiloh Church Cemetery, Cotton Hill, Clay Co., GA.
10. Aminda Judson BOYETT b. 25 July 1847 Randolph Co., GA; m. William Bill SANDLIN according to fam rec, but was not listed in the 1860 census with her parents.
The other older BOYETT family in this area was that of James W. and Parisade A. They lived in the same neighborhood and community as Joseph Josiah and Gatsy. Family records indicate that James W. was the son of James.
James W. and Parisade A. were living in Randolph Co., GA in 1850, but were enumerated in Clay County in the U.S. Censuses for 1860, 1870, and 1880.
1. Josiah John BOYETT b. 22 Dec 1843, Randolph Co., GA; m. 14 Oct 1866, by Cooper BELL, J.P, in Randolph Co., GA to his second cousin Jane Elizabeth (BOYETT) ADAMS, widow of Seborn ADAMS; Josiah John was one of the administrators of his father-in-law's estate and was appointed the guardian of Ann, Amelia, William, and Martha Jane ADAMS in Jan 1870, these were his wife's children by her first marriage. The securities for his bond were James BOYETT (probably his father) and J. W. PEACOCK. (see page 8 of this newsletter) Josiah John d. 16 Oct 1918 in AL; bur at Beulah Baptist Church Cemetry in Dothan, Houston Co., AL.5
2. William Shadrack (Shade) BOYETT b. 22 Sep 1845 Cotton Hill, Clay Co., GA; m. (1) 21 Nov 1967 Harriet Addie CLYATT; (2) 5 Jan 1873 Mary Lavina DUSKIN; he was in Co. C, 55th GA Vol dur Civil War; wounded and taken prisoner; settled in Shady Grove/Providence community of Stewart Co. dur 1860s; he was Sunday School Superintendent of Shady Grove Bapt Church for 25 yrs.; he was Co. Rep. in GA Gen. Assembly and on the Co. Board of Education; d. 22 Sep 1923 at Shady Grove, Stewart Co., GA.
3. Margarett BOYETT b. cal 1846/7 Randolph Co., GA; she d. before 1860.
4. Martha T. A. BOYETT b. Jan 1850 Randolph Co., GA.
5. Willis S. BOYETT, b. 1851 Randolph Co., GA; lived Richland community, Stewart Co., GA, where he was a charter member of the Richland Baptist Church; m. Lizzie CHAMBLISS.
6. James Buchanan BOYETT b. cal 1855 Randolph Co., GA; m. Susan WILSON.
7. Talitha/Thelitha BOYETT b. cal 1857 Clay Co., GA; m. Mr. PIERCE; lived Moultrie, GA.
8. Carrie BOYETT, b. 1862 Clay Co., GA; m. Alvin WOMBLE; lived near Colquitt, GA.
9. Richard (Dick) BOYETT b. 1865, Clay Co., GA; photographer, lived in Birmingham; m. Annie and had two daughters.
Children and some grandchildren of Joseph Josiah BOYETT are known. Those are as follows:
Thomas P. JESTER b. 8 Sep 1809 in SC; m. Mary Mahala BOYETT 28
Family Bible records sent by Gertrude J. Stephens.
Feb 1843 in Randolph Co., GA; he d. 11 Nov 1899 in Clay Co., GA; he is buried at Shiloh Hill Cemetery there.
1. M. A. (Angie?) b. 1844 Clay Co., GA.
2. Brazilia (Zid) A. (male) JESTER b. cal 1846 Clay Co., GA.
3. Leroy A. JESTER b. cal 1849 Clay Co., GA.
4. Amanda M. JESTER b. cal 1852 Clay Co., GA.
5. Milton (Mitt) M. JESTER b. cal 1853 CLay Co., GA.
6. William W. JESTER b. cal 1856 Clay Co., GA.
Leroy Triggs BOYETT b. 8 Jan 1826 Randolph Co., GA; m. 23 July 1845, Atha Caroline BARBREE (b. Cal 1830 in GA; she m. (2) William J. HAMILTON (b. 29 Feb 1830; d. 24 Mar 1871)); Leroy was the part owner of the firm "Boyt and Darsey" when he died. It was a shop of some kind. At the time his estate was probated, a settlement was made with John Darsey; Leroy d. 23 Nov 1855 in Clay Co., GA; bur Shiloh Bapt Ch Cem.
1. Roxann (Roxie) BOYETT b. 23 July 1846 Clay Co., GA; d. 19 Apr 1928; bur Shiloh Bapt Ch Cem, Cotton Hill, Clay Co., GA.
2. Sarah E. BOYETT b. cal 1848 Clay Co., GA.
3. Mary A. BOYETT b. cal 1850 Clay Co., GA.
4. William A. BOYETT b. cal 1852 Clay Co., GA.
5. Andrew M. BOYETT b. cal 1854 Clay Co., GA.
6. Leroy Caroline BOYETT b. 12 Apr 1856 Clay Co., GA; m. Mattie; d. 8 Feb 1897, Clay Co., GA; bur. Shiloh Hill.
Seborn ADAMS b. cal 1817; was a retail grocer inl 860; he m. before 1 Sep 1850 Jane Elizabeth BOYETT (b. 24 July 1830 Laurens Co., GA; d. 15 Aug 1902); his will was probated in Clay Co., GA on 3 Jan 1870. On that date, Jane Elizabeth's second husband was appointed guardian of Sebron and her children.
1. Annie ADAMS b.8 June 1852 Clay Co., GA; m. 31 Dec 1885 Joseph Henry LANE (b. 13 July 1852; d. 13 Aug 1915;
Annie was his third wife); d. 14 Dec 1932.
2. Amelia ADAMS b. cal 1855 Clay Co., GA; m. John L. (Tobe) DOMINGUS.
3 William ADAMS b. cal 1858 Clay Co., GA.
4. Martha Jane (Jennie) ADAMS b. 14 July 1862 clay Co., GA; m. Walt NEWTON (b. c1864); she d. 29 Apr 1895; bur Buelah.
John William PITTMAN b.28 Dec 1823 in GA; m. 26 Feb 1847 Abedia Ann BOYETT (b. 25 June 1831 Laurens Co., GA; d. 29 Jan 1918, Dothan, Houston Co., AL); he d. 30 Oct 1894; both bur Shiloh
Bapt Ch Cem, Cotton Hill, Clay Co.,GA.
1. Sarah Ann Judson PITTMAN b. 16 Aug 1849; d. 26 Mar 1850.
2. Eliza Jane PITTMAN b. 26 Feb 1851 Randolph Co., GA; m. 25 Mar 1874 Andrew Joe LANE; she d. 8 Oct 1931; bur Beulah.
3. Ella Gertrude PITTMAN b. 14 Jan 1853 Randolph Co., GA; m. William T. CROZIER (b. 21 Aug 1847; d. 27 Dec 1942); she d. 25 May 1937.
4. Fanny Amelia PITTMAN b. 5 Aug 1856 Randolph Co., GA; m. Bemjamin SHAW; she d. 12 Dec 1912.
5. Jesse William PITTMAN b. 3 Jan 1862; m.17 Nov 1881 Anna Lee COBB (b. 9 June 1866 d. 23 Mar 1960); lived Henry Co., AL; d. 1 Feb 1928.
6. Mary Ida PITTMAN b. 5 July 1868; m. 15 Sep 1889 Richard (Dick) Davis CROZIER (b. 8 Dec 1860; d. 20 Mar 1925); she d. 19 May 1961.
James Jackson (Jack) BOYETT b. 26 Dec 1835 Randolph Co., GA; m. 27 Dec 1855 Randolph Co., GA to Sarah Jane FOSTER (b. 15 Mar 1837 in either Georgia or Virginia; she d. 23 Aug 1892; bur. Shiloh Cem); he d. 31 Oct 1895 and is bur. at Shiloh Cem., Clay Co., GA.
1. Emma M. BOYETT b. cal 1857 Randolph Co., GA.6
2. James W. BOYETT b. cal 1858 Randolph Co., GA.
3. Mary A. BOYETT b. cal 1859 Randolph Co., GA.
4. George D. BOYETT b. cal 1861 Randolph Co., GA.
5. Richard J. BOYETT b. cal 1864 Randolph Co., GA.
6. Robert Lee BOYETT b. cal 1866 Randolph Co., GA; d. 1941; bur. Shiloh Cem, Clay Co., GA.
7. Samuel L. BOYETT b. cal 1868 Randolph Co., GA.
8. Edger (sic) H. or N. BOYETT b. cal 1869 Randolph Co., GA.
9. Charles E. BOYETT b. c 1871 Randolph Co., GA.
10. Columbus S. BOYETT b. c 1872 Randolph Co., GA.
11. Edwin E. (Eugene?) BOYETT b. 1 Aug 1873; m. Mary BURGE; lived in tn-county house; d. 6 Dec 1949; bur at Shiloh.
12. Alress F. BOYETT b. c1876 Randolph Co., GA.
13. Leola V. BOYETT b. c1877 Randolph Co., GA.
14. Lily L. BOYETT b. c1878 Randolph Co.,GA.
15. Tracy B. BOYETT b. 23 Jan 1880; d. 4 Nov 1880, bur Shiloh.
16. Infant daughter bur. Shiloh Cem, Clay Co., GA.
since the Clay County History states that these children were all born in the same house, it has been assumed that they were all born in Randolph County, but it could have been Clay.
JOSEPH JOSIAH BOYETT
Joseph Josiah BOYETT was born 25 Dec 1795 in North Carolina; he married about 1820 in North Carolina. Sometime between 1821 and 1826 they moved to Georgia, settling in Randolph County. He died 8 Oct 1867 and is buried in Shiloh Baptist Church cemetery in Cotton Hill, Clay Co., GA.
He married Gatsy PEACOCK who was born 27 Oct 1803 in North Carolina. She died 27 Feb 1891 and is also buried in Shiloh Baptist Church cemetery in Cotton Hill, Clay Co., GA.
1. Mary Mahala BOYETT b. 8 Dec 1821 in North Carolina; she married on 28 Feb 1843 in Randolph Co., GA (Randolph Co., GA marr book) Thomas P. JESTER who was born 3 Sep 1809; he d. 11 Nov 1899. Mary Mahala d. 4 June 1860 and is buried at Cotton Hill, Clay Co., GA. Thomas married second Martha Frances who was born 18 Nov 1840 and d. 20 Dec 1899.
2. Leroy Triggs BOYETT (twin) b. 8 Jan 1826 in Georgia; married Atha Caroline-----; his will was probated in Clay Co., GA on 23 Nov 1855. (Clay Co. GA court records)
3. William Washington BOYETT (twin) b. 8 Jan 1826 in Georgia.
4. Jane Elizabeth BOYETT b. 24 July 1830 (family Bible says 4 July); she married first Sebourn ADAMS about 1852; she married second her 2nd cousin, John J. BOYETT, who was born 22 Dec 1843 and d. 16 Oct 1918. NOTE: John had brothers called Dick and Shade (Shadrack?). Jane d. 15 Aug 1902.
5. Abedi Ann BOYETT born 25 June 1831; married John William PITTMAN who was born 28 Dec 1823 and d. 30 Oct 1894. Abedi Ann died 29 Jan 1918; she is buried in the Beulah Baptist Cemetery, Beulah Baptist Church, 3 miles north of Houston County Courthouse, Dothan, AL (on old Headland Highway, now Headland Avenue.) John is buried in Shiloh Baptist Church cemetery, Cotton Hill, Clay Co., GA.
6. James Jackson BOYETT b. 26 Dec 1835 and d. 31 Oct 1895; he married 27 Dec 1855 to Sarah Jane FOSTER in Randolph Co., GA. "Jack" is buried in Shiloh Baptist Church cemetery, Cotton Hill, Clay Co., GA.
7. Amelia Gilbert BOYETT b. 13 July 1839 and married Dunwoody RAY in Clay Co., GA on 21 May 1864. She is buried in Shiloh Baptist Church cemetery, Cotton Hill, Clay Co., GA. She died 22 Feb 1915.
8. George Love Harrison BOYETT b. 18 Dec 1843; George was in Lee's Army when Lee surrendered to Grant according to family sources.
9. Aminda Judson BOYETT b. 25 July 1847; possibly d. before 1850.
10. Calvin BOYETT (according to Bunelle Hall Gresham who submitted the majority of this information, Calvin was not on the list of children from her grandmother, but Bunelle's mother and aunts remembered him.)
NOTE: The cemetery where many of these BOYETTS are buried is in Clay Co., GA while the family lived in Randolph Co., GA, just over the line. As a matter of fact, the home of James Jackson BOYETT had a pillar in each of three Counties--Clay, Randolph, and Quitman.
SOURCES: Bunelle Hall Gresham family records, many of which were given to her by her Grandmother Abedi Ann (BOYETT) PITTMAN.
Marriage Records Clay Co., GA. Marriage Records Randolph Co., GA. Probate Records Randolph Co., GA. Wills Clay Co., GA
1850 census Randolph Co., GA. 1860 census Randolph Co., GA.
1870 Census Randolph Co., GA. 1860 census Clay Co., GA.
Shiloh Cemetery, Clay Co., GA. RANDOLPH CO., GA: A COMPILATION OF FACTS,
RECOLLECTIONS, & FAMILY HISTORIES, by Iva P. Coolsby, Chairman, 1977. THE HISTORY OF CLAY COUNTY.
Shiloh Cemetery Census taken by Mr. and Mrs. Willia Kuykendoll Transcribed by Hugh T. Singleton
Copied from THE HISTORY OF CLAY COUNTY with permission of the Library Board of Clay County.
Email From Wendy - 09/08/07
Joseph Josiah BOYETT/BOYETTE b. 25 Dec 1795 in Wayne Co. NC; par unk. He m. 8 May 1819 to Gatsy PEACOCK; she was b 27 Oct 1803 in NC or Washington Co., GA. They liv Laurens Co. GA in 1830. In HH there were 2 males & 1 fem btw 5 & 10, & 1 male & 1 fem under 5. He owned no slaves. The fam moved to Randolph Co., GA bef 1850 where on 23 Aug they res 7th Dist. Joseph Josiah d. 8 Oct 1867 in Clay Co., GA & is bur Shiloh Bapt Ch Cem in Cotton Hill, Clay Co., GA. Gatsy d. 27 Feb 1891 in Houston Co., AL, bur Beulah Bapt Ch Cem in Dothan, Houston Co., AL. Children: Mary Mahala b. 1821, Leroy Triggs (twin) b. 1826, William Washington (twin) b. 1826, Jane Elizabeth b. 4 July 1828, Abedi Ann b. 1831, James Jackson b. cal 1835, Amelia Gilbert b. 1839, George Love Harrison b. 1843, Aminda Judson b. 1847, and/or Calvin. Jane Elizabeth m. (2) her 2nd cou Josiah John BOYETT at her par' home on 14 Oct 1866 in Randolph Co., GA. "Gatsey"s b. & d. dates are recorded in Josiah John's fam Bible along with those for Josiah John & his wife, Jane Elizabeth. Gatsey liv with Josiah John & Jane Elizabeth in 1880 in Cotton Hill, Clay Co., GA. Jane Elizabeth had previously md Sebourn ADAMS & had 4 children. [83BGA, 85RAN, 88CLA, FRBHG, FBJJB, BNII:3:8, BNII:4:10]
Mary Mahala BOYETT b. 1821 of GA; dau of Joseph Josiah & Gatsy (PEACOCK) BOYETT of GA. Fam liv in Laurens Co., GA in 1830 then moved to Randolph Co., GA bef 1850 where on 7 Aug they res in Dist 7. [FRBHG, FBJJB, BNII:3:8, BNII:4:10, 83BGA, 85RAN]
Leroy Triggs BOYETT b. 8 Jan 1826 in GA; son of Joseph Josiah & Gatsy (PEACOCK) BOYETT. Fam moved to Randolph Co., GA bef 1850. He m. Atha Caroline (b. cal 1826 GA). He d abt 1855 as his will was probd in Clay Co., GA on 23 Nov 1855. Children: Roxanna, Sarah, Mariah. [85RAN, FRBHG, BNII:3:8]
William Washington BOYETT b. 8 Jan 1826 in GA, son of Joseph Josiah & Gatsy (PEACOCK) BOYETT. Twin of Leroy Triggs. Fam lived in Laurens Co., GA in 1830 & in 7th Dist Randolph Co., GA in 1850. [83BGA, 85RAN, FRBHG, FGJJB, BNII:3:8, BNII:4:10]
Jane Elizabeth BOYETT, b. 4 July 1828; dau of Joseph Josiah & Gatsy (PEACOCK) BOYETT of NC. Fam liv in Randolph Co., GA in 1850. She m. (1) Sebourn ADAMS abt 1852 in GA; she m. (2) a 2nd cousin Josiah John BOYETT (b. 22 Dec 1843 & d. 16 Oct 1918) who was 17 yrs younger. Jane d. 15 Aug 1902. The fam liv in Cotton Hill, Clay Co., GA in 1880. Their vital rec were rec'd in a Bible kept by Josiah John until his death, aft which someone else rec'd his d. info. Some info for her par was also recd therein. Her children by Sebourn ADAMS: Annie b. 1852 GA; Amelia b. 1856 AL; William b. 1859 GA; & Martha J. b. 1863 GA. [88CLA, 85RAN, FRBHG, BNII:3:8, BNII:4:11]
Abedi Ann BOYETT b. 25 June 1831; dau of Joseph Josiah & Gatsy (PEACOCK) BOYETT. She m. John William PITTMAN who was b. 28 Dec 1823 & d. 30 Oct 1894. Abedi Ann d. 29 Jan 1918; she is bur in Beulah Bapt Ch Cem, 3 mi N of Houston Co., Courthouse, Dothan, AL. [BBCC, BHGFM]
James Jackson "Jack" BOYETT b. 26 Dec 1835 in GA; son of Joseph Josiah & Gatsy (PEACOCK) BOYETT of Randolph Co., GA. He m. 27 Dec 1855 Sarah Jane FOSTER in Randolph Co., GA. They res in Dist 1131 of Randolph Co., GA in 1880. He is bur Shiloh Bapt Ch cem in Cotton Hill, Clay Co., GA.They had at least 15 children; all b. GA: Emma M. b. 1857; James W. b. 1858, Mary A. b. 1859, George D. b. 1861; Richard A. b. 1863; Robert L. b. 1867; Samuel L. b. 1868, Edgar O. b. 1869; Charlie E. b. 1871; Columbus S. b. 1872; Edwin E. b. 1874; Alres F. (m) b. 1876, Leola N. b. 1877, Lily L. b. 1878, & Tracy b. 1880. [FRBHG, 88RAN, 85RANe, BNII:3:8]
Amelia Gilbert BOYETT b. 13 July 1839; dau of Joseph Josiah & Gatsy (PEACOCK) BOYETT. She is listed as Ann J. in the 1850 U.S. Census. Amelia m. Dunwoody RAY in Clay Co., GA on 21 May 1864. She d. 22 Feb 1915 & is bur. in Shiloh Baptist Ch Cemetery, Cotton Hill, Clay Co., GA. [BNII:3:8, 85RAN]
George Love Harrison BOYETT b. 18 Dec 1843 of Randolph Co., GA; son of Joseph Josiah & Gatsy (PEACOCK) BOYETT. Fam liv 7th dist of Randolph Co., GA in Aug 1850. George was in Lee's Army when Lee surrendered to Grant according to fam sources. On 24 Sep 1865 George m. Mary F CLIATT (b Mar 1839 GA) in Stewart Co GA. She was the mother of 7 children, 5 of whom were liv in June 1900. Fam res Ft Gaines PO, Clay Co GA on 13 Jul 1870 (p59) & Dist 749, Clay Co GA on 9 Jun 1880 (ED91p18). They res in Henry Co., AL in June 1900. George & Mary had a gdau, Addie CAMP b. May 1892 in AL, liv w/ them at that time, so1 dau m CAMP, Children: Charles J. b cal 1867 Clay Co, Rose/a Lee/Sue b cal 1869 Clay Co., Annie J b cal 1872, & Mattie Lou (b 1874) who m. Henry Talbert FORT/E, George/a Ella b cal 1876, Dolly A b est 1877. FRBHG, BNII:2:8, 85RAN, 87CLA, 88CLA, 90HCA, FRSF]
Aminda Judson BOYETT b. 25 July 1847; dau of Joseph Josiah & Gatsy (PEACOCK) BOYETT. Fam res in the 7th Dist of Randolph Co. on 23 Aug 1850. [85RAN, BHGFR, BNII:3:8]
Calvin Jasper BOYETT b. cal 1854 in TX or AL; poss a son of Joseph Josiah & Gatsy (PEACOCK) BOYETT. He m. est 1875 Louisa _______. They liv in Newton Co., TX in 1880. He d. in Eastland Co., TX on 17 Oct 1934 (#44429). Children: James & Sarah. [88CNT, BHGFR, DCTSL]
Josiah John BOYETT b. 22 Dec 1843 of Randolph Co., GA; par unk. He was m. at the home of Joseph Josiah BOYETT, his father-in-law, on 14 Oct 1866 to Jane Elizabeth (BOYETT) ADAMS of Randolph Co., GA. She was the widow of Seabourn ADAMS. They were m. by Cooper BELL, JP. Jane Elizabeth was b. 4 July 1828. She was 15 yrs older than Josiah John. She d. 15 Aug 1902; Josiah John d. 16 Oct 1918. Their vital records & those for her par are recd in a Bible that belonged to Josiah John. According to fam trad Jane & Josiah John were 2nd cousins. [FBJJB, BNII:3:8, BNII:4:10]
In census records, I found a neighbor named George Love Harrison for whom I assume that their son George Love Harrison was named.