photo sharing and upload picture albums photo forums search pictures popular photos photography help login
Julian Williams | all galleries >> Old Jacksonville, Ga.- Where History Lives > The Old Courthouse At Jacksonville, Ga.
previous | next
The Old Courthouse At Jacksonville, Ga.

The Old Courthouse At Jacksonville, Ga.


other sizes: small medium original
comment | share
Julian Williams09-Feb-2002 20:05
This old courthouse was built in 1860, the same year the steamboat Manning blew up just down the river from Jacksonville. Before this a log courthouse was present, being built around 1812. This county seat courthouse was located in Jacksonville where the Jacksonville Methodist Church now sits and some say, on its original foundation. Court sessions and church services were held here and great clerics, such as The Rev. Wilson Conner, preached and "exhorted" here. With the coming of the railroads in the early 1870's the county seat was moved to McRae. Before this, the State Legislature passed a bill saying it would be moved to the center of the county to a place to be named "Ridgley" -- but the Civil War came, and so did the railroads, and "Ridgley" never was --