Because of construction being done to the house from damages suffered in Hurricanes Katrina and Rita it was not possible to get a closer shot of the house.
Built in 1846 by Valcour Aime' as a wedding gift to his daughter, Felicite Emma, and her spouse, Septime Fortier, this house is built of cypress with wooden columns. It has wide central hallways on both the upper and lower floors with high-ceilinged rooms opening from them. There are several red Italian marble mantelpieces in many of the rooms.
In the late 1800's the house and property were purchased by Saturnine Waguespack and in 1901 Felicity was combined with St. Joseph plantation to form the St. Joseph Plantation and Manufacturing Company, known for its sugar cane production. Both St. Joseph and Felicity have many beautiful live oaks on the property that are registered with the Live Oak Society and named for family members.
Descendants of the Waguespack family still occupy this majestic mansion facing the Mississippi River along the Great River Road.
The movie "The Skeleton Key" was filmed here.