From "A History of Jefferson County, Ohio"
In the year 1798, John Adams, then President of the United States, deeded to Bezaleel Wells Section 10, Township 10, Range 3 of Jefferson County, Ohio, 640 acres for $2 per acre. The northeast quarter of this section was purchased from Mr.Wells by Joseph Talbott and Mary Talbott on April 18, 1808 for $3.50 per acre for the 160 acre. How long they lived on the land before receiving the deed isn`t known. Joseph employed Isaac Jenkinson , a civil engineer, to survey and plat a town with streets 60 feet wide and alleys 20 feet. The survey and platting were completed September 20, 1815 with 48 lots on Main Street and cross streets named Green, High, Walnut, and Sugar. How the village came to be named Richmond is a matter of supposition. One states that it may have been named for a colored helper to Mr.Talbott, one Richard Richmond but another, perhaps more plausible, is as namesake of Richmond, Virginia. A third recalls the Presbyterian Society Richmond Church which stood five miles out of the town. Organized in 1804, it is possible the name influenced the Talbotts when they made their choice. The first lots were sold November 25, 1815. Joseph and Mary sold total of 81 1/2 lots for $6,266.37. Joseph Talbott was born June 26, 1764 and died in 1853 at the age of 89. Mrs Talbott was born in 1769 in Pipe Creek, Maryland and was married to Joseph October 19, 1786. It was in the spring of 1799 that they came to Jefferson County. Mary bore eleven children and passed away in 1872 at age of 103. The Talbotts were buried in te Friends Union Cemetery. There are yet today descendents of this founding family living in or near Richmond.