Zbawiciela Square (plac Zbawiciela) was originally part of the axis of the royal Ujazdowska residence, but in the second half of the 19th century, mansions were built on the square as the number of local residents grew steadily and rapidly and so the need for a new temple had to be met. The church was created as a thanksgiving to Christ the Savior for the Holy Year 1900; it was built from 1901-1911 in a style reminiscent of the forms common during the Polish Renaissance and Baroque periods. Warsaw's best artists contributed to the project, including architect Stefan Szyller and sculptor Pius Weloński. The temple survived the Warsaw Uprising, but was blown up by the Germans just before the liberation of the capital. The reconstruction lasted eight years, with the Communist authorities ordering the transfer of the axis of Marszałkowska Street to hide the church from view. It also took a long time to obtain permission to rebuild the towers, which were only restored in 1955, before the inside was finally reconstructed. On the façade there are two statues of St. Peter and Paul from 1913 sculpted by Feliks Giecewicz, and the chapel of Our Lady of Częstochowa, together with the painting of the Mother of the Redeemer which was solemnly enthroned in 1909, deserve attention, as well.