Built as a summer residence for one of Bavaria's electors, Schloss Nymphenburg (Nymph's Palace) is a treat for those who enjoy viewing the opulence of the lifestyles of the aristocracy.Located just west of Munich, the Nymphenburg Palace was commissioned in 1664 by Elector Ferdinand Maria, to celebrate the birth of his son, Maximilian Emanuel.The elector was to make this his summer residence and would live here with his consort and the mother of his child, Henriette Adelaide of Savoy.The architect chosen for the palace was Agostino Barelli, who designed the central section of the palace to resemble an Italian villa, much to the delight of Henriette.
Further additions continued, especially throughout the 18th century. The facade was extended to an impressive width of 600m (1968 ft). A circle of ornate Baroque mansions, known as the Schlossrondell, was erected under Emperor Charles VII. The enormous Grand Hall or Steinerner Saal, was added during the reign of Elector Maximilian III and includes ornate Rococo elements fashioned by Flemish architect François Cuvilliés.