It may seem surprising to find another large church standing so close to the might and magnificence of Westminster Abbey. Why was an additional church needed in such a position? To answer that question we have to recall that Westminster Abbey was originally a Benedictine Abbey. In 1065 Edward the Confessor gave orders for the consecration of the abbey church of the Benedictine monastery. That great church was to be the centre of life for the monks of Westminster. Following the Rule of St Benedict, they would assemble at fixed times throughout each day to worship God by singing what is known as 'the Divine Office'. That was their duty - 'office' comes from the Latin word for 'duty'. This was their main task in life, so they called it Opus Dei - 'God's work'. Nothing was allowed to disturb them in carrying out this basic duty.