Meadowbank Railway Bridge is often known as the John Whitton Bridge in honour of its designer.
Parts for the bridge were manufactured in Derby and shipped out to Australia. It has iron piers and
wrought iron trusses and was completed in 1886. In 1980 Rail traffic transferred to a new, larger
structure immediately adjacent to the west and the original bridge was converted for pedestrian and
cycle use in 2000.