The coastal town of Zarautz is located in the province of Gipuzkoa, some 20 kilometres west of the city of Donostia (San Sebastian). Presently, its population hovers around some 22,000 people but is constantly heading upwards. In the summertime, the number of people living in Zarautz nearly triples the permanent population thanks to a huge influx of tourists who come to enjoy Zarautz's beautiful beach, which is one of the longest in the Basque country, as well as its beautiful surroundings and excellent restaurants.
Zarautz was settled even in Roman times as evidenced by recent excavations of Roman graves in the town. There are also Roman-built cobblestone roads (galtzadak) that still wind their way to the nearby town of Getaria.
Zarautz was officially founded in 1237 when the King of Castile Ferdinand III granted it a charter.