In 1744, the abbey and the abbey church were largely destroyed in a fire. The subsequent spectacular re-building in the Baroque style,
with a double-shelled dome, was to the plans of Enrico Zuccalli, a Swiss-Italian architect working in Munich, who had studied with Bernini.
The decoration was primarily carried out by Josef Schmutzer of the Wessobrunn School of stuccoists and Johann Baptist Straub,
who was responsible for the altars and the chancel.
© Thomas LeRoy 2010-2014. Images may not be downloaded, copied, altered, linked All rights reserved.